**This post may contain some affiliate links.
If you’re keeping up with the trends, you’ve likely heard about a potential superfood called tigernut. Tigernuts are big in the wellness space right now, because of their high snackability and all the health benefits they have to offer regular consumers – especially women.
Even though they’re growing in popularity, tigernuts are still relatively unknown compared to almonds, peanuts, and the like. What are they? Where do they come from? What are they good for? You’ve come to the right place to get all your questions answered! Keep reading for more information on tigernuts, the health benefits that tigernuts can provide women, and tips on how to incorporate them into your diet.
What Are Tigernuts, Exactly?
Let’s start with the basics. Tigernuts go by a few different names: yellow nutsedge, chufa, and earth almonds are all common monikers for this wrinkled, chewy nut. Here’s an interesting bit of trivia: they’re not actually nuts! They’re tubers (similar to potatoes) that grow underground, but have a nut-like shape, size, and appearance.
They’ve been enjoyed by humans for thousands of years, but only recently started gaining recognition for their health benefits. They contain tons of antioxidants, omega fatty acids, and minerals that may improve certain bodily processes and boost your sense of wellness. Of course, each body reacts differently to foods and benefits mentioned here should not be taken as medical advice. Without further ado, here are five benefits of tigernuts for women:
1. Boosted Immunity
Women, especially mothers of young children, are exposed to numerous viruses and bacteria all day, every day. The immune system is responsible for fighting off these germs and prevents you from falling ill or developing an infection–but it can’t do it alone! Support your immune system by incorporating immunity-boosting foods, including (you guessed it!) tigernuts. In a 2009 study, tigernuts were found to be effective against a handful of common bacterias that are known to cause significant illness.
2. Improved Heart Health
Tigernuts are high in omega-3 fatty acids and contain other monounsaturated fats that are responsible for balancing cholesterol levels. Cholesterol plays a huge role in heart health, and keeping levels in the optimal range through diet and exercise can reduce the risk of high blood pressure, heart attacks, blood clots, and strokes. Adding tigernuts to your diet, along with other heart-healthy foods and practices, may improve your heart health, which is especially important for women, as cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in females.
3. Weight Loss
Managing weight is more difficult for women than it is for men, experts say. Tigernuts might be able to help! Tigernuts are naturally high in fiber, which can be a significant contributor when it comes to losing weight. Fiber helps you feel full, slows down digestion, and helps balance blood sugar – all important factors in successful weight management. Adding tigernuts to your diet (read to the end for tips!) will increase your fiber intake and may help shed stubborn pounds.
4. Reduced Risk of Cancer
Research shows that 1 in 2 women are affected by some type of cancer in their lifetime. Though some types of cancer are unavoidable, some cancers can be combatted or avoided altogether through a healthy diet and lifestyle. Foods high in antioxidants, like tigernuts, can help your cells protect themselves against cancers and fight cancers that are already present.
5. Improved Gut Health
You probably already know that fiber is good for digestion, but did you know that fiber is also responsible for maintaining a healthy gut microbiome? It feeds the beneficial microorganisms that live in your digestive tract that are essential in several bodily processes, including the production of serotonin (the “happiness hormone”, as some call it). Tigernuts are especially high in fiber and can help regulate bowel movements, reduce constipation, and feed the beneficial bacteria for an all-around improvement in your digestive health.
How To Incorporate Tiger Nuts into Your Diet
- Drink Tigernut Milk. Are you a fan of plant-based milks? You’ll love tigernut milk! Switch to DIY tigernut milk for your cereal, smoothies, baking, coffee, and anything else you’d use milk for. It’s creamy, completely vegan and the flavor is similar to almond milk, but with the added bonus of tigernut benefits. Grab our fav Almond Cow milk maker with code URBANOREGANICS for $25 off.
- Add Tigernuts to Smoothies. Tigernuts are a great smoothie booster! Toss a handful into the blender with your fav ingredients, and drink up. Their mild flavor might be disguised, but you’ll still get all the vitamins, antioxidants, omegas and fiber they have to offer.
- Eat Raw or Roasted Tigernuts. One of the simplest ways to add tigernuts to your diet is to just eat them by the handful! Many people say they taste similar to almonds or pecans with a slightly sweet and earthy flavor. Enjoy them raw or roasted, depending on your preference.
- Use Tigernut Flour in Baked Goods. Swap your usual flour for a tigernut-based flour when baking cakes, cookies, breads, muffins, and more to supercharge baked treats with tigernut benefits! Plus, it’s a great gluten-free alternative to traditional flour.
- Try Tigernut Snacks from Natureul! Natureul’s tasty tiger nut-based treats make adding tiger nuts to your diet (and therefore, reaping the benefits of these tiny tubers) incredibly easy and rewarding. Use our code 10NATURE for 10% off your Natureul order online. Their snack line includes several flavors of tigernut granola, kasha (also known as porridge), and tigernut spread. All Natureul tigernut snacks are vegan, organic, and allergy-friendly, so you can snack without disrupting your lifestyle.
Tiger nuts are a highly nutritious and delicious superfood that offer numerous health benefits for women. From improving digestion and managing weight to boosting fertility and enhancing skin health, these small but mighty tubers are an excellent addition to any diet. With their high fiber, protein, and healthy fat content, tiger nuts can also help prevent chronic diseases like heart disease and diabetes. So, if you're looking to improve your overall health and well-being, consider incorporating tiger nuts into your diet today!